It’s Tax Season! Are You Ready?
Tax preparers are gearing up for tax season and booking appointments to complete 2013 taxes. Do you have all of your bookkeeping and records ready?
Here’s a checklist of documents and information you’ll need when you meet with your tax preparer.
Individual Slips and Receipts
- 2012 tax returns and Notice(s) of Assessment
- Details of personal loans and bank accounts
- Investment information, such as:
- RRSP contribution slips
- T3 slips - Statement of Trust Income Allocations and Designations
- T5 slips - Statement of Investment Income
- Employment information, for employees and for any outside income, such as:
- T4 slips - Statement of Remuneration Paid/Collected
- T4A slips - Statement of Pension, Retirement, Annuity, and Other Income
- Receipts for eligible medical expenses
- Receipts for charitable donations
- Interest paid on student loans
- Support for a child or spouse
- Child care expenses
- Children’s art and sports programs
- Moving expenses
Business Records Checklist
If you own a small business, you’ll also need the following records in addition to the above list.
- Completed 2013 bookkeeping records
- Details of business loans and bank accounts
- Inventory details as of December 31, 2013
- Income and expense summaries for 2013
- Outstanding accounts receivable and accounts payable
- Odometer information for vehicles with documented personal usage and/or a vehicle log
- Receipts and financing details on any capital purchases or sales in 2013
- Tool expenses (Tradespersons)
- Worker’s compensation payments or benefits
- Installments for income tax, GST/HST/PST and payroll
- Professional or Union dues
- Tuition or educational expenses (including professional certification fees)
This is not meant to be a comprehensive list. Some items in this checklist may not be applicable to you.
If you are a self-employed professional your filing deadline is June 15; however, if you have any taxes owing it must be paid before April 30 to avoid any late fees or interest.
See how a customized FBC membership can help with accounting and bookkeeping for your farm
Ready to meet with an FBC Tax Specialist? Give us a call at 1-855-378-3628 or email email@example.com.