Re-Open Saskatchewan Training Subsidy

Red graphic with text Government alert: Saskatchewan

Re-Open Saskatchewan Training Subsidy

The Government of Saskatchewan has launched a temporary training subsidy for employers that will cover 100% of training costs for their employees.

The Re-Open Saskatchewan Training Subsidy (RSTS) program supports employers with training employees to adapt to new health and safety requirements like social distancing. The maximum amount the subsidy covers is $10,000.

Approved employers will receive 33% of the cost of training upon entering into a training agreement with the government. The remaining 67% will be paid upon completion of final reporting and verification of actual expenditures.

Is my business eligible?

To be eligible, employers must be on the Government of Saskatchewan's list of critical public services and allowable businesses during the emergency period, or eligible to resume operations in a confirmed phase of the Re-Open Saskatchewan Plan.

Publicly funded organizations such as health regions, post-secondary training institutions, public libraries, municipalities and school divisions are not eligible under this program.

Eligible trainees must be a Canadian citizen or permanent resident with a Social Insurance Number and must be an existing employee. Temporary Foreign Workers, along with self-employed individuals, are not eligible to participate as RSTS supports trainees.

What training costs are covered by RSTS?

  • Tuition fees or fees charged by the training provided
  • Mandatory student fees
  • Textbooks, software and other required materials
  • Learning material fees
  • Examination fee

Training taken prior to an approved contract is not eligible for funding.

Employers can choose the training program and mode of delivery that will meet their needs within the following requirements:

  • Must be delivered by a Saskatchewan based third party not affiliated with the employer
  • Must be a minimum of 8 hours in length per trainee by the same training provider and completed within 4 months
  • Must result in a credential (record of completion, certificate, grade, etc.)

Third-party trainers must be based in Saskatchewan and could include:

  • Post-secondary education institutions
  • Private vocational schools, trade unions
  • Private industry trainers

Payment of the subsidy will be provided upon submission of all final reporting documents from the employer supporting completion of the training. You should receive the payment within five business days.

How do I apply?

You can apply online. The deadline to apply is December 31, 2020.

Contact FBC

If you’d like to learn more about this or other COVID-19 programs for Canadian businesses, please call us at 1-800-265-1002 or email [email protected] Unlimited consultation related to tax matters is a key benefit of FBC Membership. You can also book an appointment.

Visit our COVID-19 Resource Centre for the latest information, advice and insights for small business owners.


People have also enjoyed other articles related to these topics:

Tags:  
  1. government updates